Thursday, October 9, 2008

Giving Credit Where Credit is Due

Part of the reason to start this whole blog thing, other than a convenient log for me, is to try and get some of these concepts out in the public. With most things on the Internet, information is usually sketchy, or scattered all around on subjects like these, and sometimes even non-existent or when it comes to scientific papers, very expensive.

Not to say I'm any type of expert in any means, what you see here is more like "The Yeasty Adventures of a Home Brewer". There are odds, very high ones in fact, that some of what I am going to do here will fail, and you'll see that too in it's comic splendor.

So when I find a gem like the book you see in the picture, I want to make sure it gets noticed. I would definitely say a lot of what I have learned has come from said book.

The Fungus Among Us: Yeast Culturing for HomeBrewers by Yuseff Cherney and Chris White

This is quite simply the most straight forward reference on culturing yeast. The illustrations are simple, easy to understand, and the techniques (a lot of what I do here) are time tested by one of the authorities in yeast harvesting and storage today (Chris White is the CEO of White Labs). Don't let the "Pamphlet size" of the book fool you, the content within is great for starting out.

So I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. Thanks to Yuseff Cherney and Chris White for putting together a terrific, informative, and affordable book on the subject.

No comments: